Houses - Pembury Hall
According to Mary Standen –
Built in 1803 and occupied by the Woodgate family for about 170 years.
Badly damaged by fire on 2nd June 1947.
Above: a portion of the 1840 Tithe Map showing Pembury Hall and the Old St Peter’s Parish Church
Above: a map of c1900 showing the location of Pembury Hall, just to the west of St Peter’s Old Church
Above: a postcard image of c1907 showing what is assumed to be the rear of the hall, as there are no doors.
Above: a photograph donated by Graham Chantler of the fire at Pembury Hall
The fire photo shows an additional wing to the right of the building. The central roof has gained a few new chimney stacks.
The rescued yellow sofa is resting on the incline to the right of the lawn – a feature seen in the earlier photo.
Above: Pembury Hall (PC010 Melvyn Cole) Date unknown
Pembury Hall (PC011 Melvyn Cole) Date unknown
Above: a photograph donated by Graham Chantler. Pembury Hall – date unknown.
This image indicates the hall at its largest. The window count is 5 (left wing), 4 (recess), 2 (right wing).
The count and arrangement of the chimney stacks is more complicated!
Note the roof of the right wing (2 window portion) has different shaded
roof tiling, indicating a later extension – or a re-build.
Above: a photograph donated by Graham Chantler. Pembury Hall – date unknown – assumed recent.
The building looks shorter than shown in the previous picture.
Early commercial and domestic directories indicate the following occupants of Pembury Hall during these dates.
1882 – 1912 Revd. Reginald Stephen Shaw Woodgate
1913 – 1916 Capt. Jasper Hamilton Davidson-Houston
1916 Major Jasper Hamilton Davidson-Houston
1919 Miss Le Jeun
1924 – 1938 Major Jasper Hamilton Davidson-Houston
1939 – no current data – needs investigation.
Pembury Hall Cottages – see this page for photos B035 to B040 donated by Dawn Moore.
Page compiled by Tony Nicholls 2021