Pembury History

Localities - Lower Green

This page deals with old maps of Lower Green from 1868 to 1936
The old map is shown on the left and the modern day (2010) equivalent is shown on the right.
In each pairing you will always see the same modern map on the right.
Care has been taken to scale each map so that a good visual comparison of old to new is achieved.
Four landmarks have been colour coded in all maps as standard references.
Yellow – the Royal Oak public house and its rear out-building.
Light Blue – set of six houses – here referred to as the ‘Set of 6’
Red –  No 81 & No 79 Henwood Green Road in later map.
Magenta – Block of 4 houses  – demolished for surgery car park.
Red – ancient field boundary across the green at southern boundary of 81 Henhood Green Road.
The scale of each map section is approx  170 x 230 metres.

..Some items have been sent from a multitude of contributors, and as such it has been difficult to establish precise publication details.


1868 2010

  Above –  The basic maps before too much manipulation
Below – 1868 map with clutter and unnecessary detail removed.

1868 2010

Above – The 1868 map has had unnecessary detail removed and has had some colour added.
Note two Turnpike gates marked in red – these were for collecting road toll fees.
Note the field division marked in red – this follows down through the decades to today as a property boundary.
The placement of the Royal Oak shows it at a slightly different angle to that in later maps.
The two notches at the front of the Royal Oak are taken to be the bay windows.
The top of the Lower Green triangle is more pointed than in later maps. It projects well past the Royal Oak.
The Smithy is taken to be the rectangular building aligned north-south.
There is an access path between Lower Green Road and Henwood Green road.


1897 2010

Above –  The basic 1897 map before too much manipulation.
Note ‘W’ next to a dot usually meant a well.  Later maps do not show this feature.
Below – 1897 map with clutter and unnecessary detail removed

Above – The 1897 map shows the addition of a Smithy or blacksmith’s workshop and a set of 3 houses down the road.
It is not clear if the Smithy is the square building or the rectangular building, or both.
The 3 houses (light blue) are the first in the ‘Set of 6’  Today’s numbering would be 174, 176, 178
The block of 6 to the south of these three are Nos 162 – 172
Block 118-124 has been extended. The extension of the house closest to the Royal Oak is the Butcher’s shop.


1909 2010

 Above – This is the uncluttered version of the 1909 map.
3 more houses have been added to complete the ‘Set of 6’      Now running 174 – 184.
Waterfield House (Doctors) in 186.    Royal Oak is 216.    This leaves 118 to 214.
The Smithy is still on the map.   The building to the far left has been identified as the Smithy’s house.
It is assumed that the centre and right buildings are the blacksmith’s workshops.


1936 2010

Above – This is the uncluttered version of the 1936 map.
Two new houses, marked in red, have been added to Henwood Green Road..
House numbers are No 79 and 81.      No 81 was later sub divided to create No 81a at the southern boundary.
These houses were used as a variety of shops, bakers and grocers.
Smithy gone. Access path closed.  Site now (2013) used as library car park
118-124 later demolished for doctors’ surgery.
As these maps are being prepared (2013) there is talk of demolishing the Royal Oak for more houses.


Above – the locations of Slate Row (Magenta)  and Red Row  (Red)


Scaling, cropping and preparing maps for this kind of presentation.

The scaling of these maps was determined by cropping from far larger digitised maps using these rules:

Trusted feature ‘A’ is selected as the start point –
Bottom-left corner of cropped map is determined as the lower-left ‘point’ of the Lower Green triangle – Lower Green Rd / Romford Rd Junction.
If the road junction is shown rounded, make an assumption as to where the point should be.

A ‘Trusted Feature’ is something that appears on all maps under comparison – a road junction, corner of a church or pub, etc.

Trusted feature ‘B’ is selected as the vertical axis stop point –
The top of the map cuts through the lower-right corner of a very old house called ‘Queens Folly’ that will appear on maps of all ages.

This has set the top to bottom limits of the map.
There is no trusted feature to the right that is convenient on all maps, so a random feature was selected.
This defining of the right hand side of the map gave an aspect ratio (width / height) of 0.664.
For fresh maps crop the width of the image to 0.664 of the height of the image. Most image processing programs dynamically show this ratio.
The image size is then reduced to a width of 450 pixels so that all maps appear on the screen the same size and to the same scale.
Whenever manipulating old and new maps be sure to determine trusted features that will appear on all maps as references.
The ratio of 0.664 and image width of 450 pixels were convenient for this project. Other projects will require something different...

Tony Nicholls  2013


Above – the Lower Green area from the 1840 Tithe Map  –   orientation is sort of NW

Location 415 is the junction of Lower Green Road and Henwood Green Road.      941 to 825 is Romford Road.

Taken from Kathryn Franklin’s notes on the Tithe Schedule –

  Black – data from schedule       Red – comments by Kathryn Franklin      Green – supplementary comments by Jeni Beviere & Jane Grooms

795 – House & Garden  (The Forstal)  (demolished)
796 – Farm House & Buildings  (later Queen’s Folly)
812 –   House & Meadow  – William Allcock (tenant) – Royal Oak
813 –  House & Garden – John Bridger   (house demolished)
814 –  2 houses & Garden  (house demolished)
815 – 10 Houses & Garden – Red Row  (demolished)
816 – Hop Garden & House   –  house not there in 1900
817 – Meadow
818 – Meadow
819 & 820 – 12 Houses & Garden – Slate Row
823 –  3 Houses & Garden  –  Cottages & Kebab shop
827 – House & Buildings  – Rose Cottage (& Laurel Cottage later)
828 – 2 x House & Garden –   ? Waterloo Cottage      Gibralter Cottage.   Waterloo Cottage is 832 – off this map.
829 – 2 x House & Garden    Myrtle Cottage
931 – House & Orchard  (later Chippings)
937 – Gate House & Garden   – Library site
938 – Parochial School & Yard    – Library site
939 – House & Shop  (smithy)
941 – Chapel & Yard  – Baptist Church

The following Census records for 1841 tries to identify the occupants of Slate Row and Red Row.
In these documents Slate Row is referred to as 'Larkins Row'  -  Larkin being the owner.
( The Pembury Windmill page shows a map of the landowners in this part of Pembury )
These 6 pages are from the census clerk's notebook recording his door to door notation of residents.
Data collected by Jane Grooms.

 1 Larkins Row starts at bottom of page 2
  Click image for enlargement
  2 to 12  Larkins Row
  Click image for enlargement
  12 Larkins Row.     1 to 10 Red Row
   Click image for enlargement

The list below identifies the head of the family for each address.
Unclear interpretations are indicated thus  (?)

1   Larkins Row     
John Smith

A work in progress

Below – a work in progress.

The maps below are part of an exercise to locate houses and buildings often referred to by name and not address.

The root map is a 1936 OS but older or more recent buildings may be indicated.

Link to Houses page and Houses main list  –   Pembury Houses

List of Houses and Buildings for map 220 – Lower Green – North


A Knight’s Ridge
D Mission Church
F Slate Row – Nos *****
G Slate Row – Nos *****
H Slate Row – Nos *****
I Red Row  (demolished)
K Peters Cottages
M Baptist Church / Union Chapel
N Chapel Cottage
O Swiss Cottage / Betts Grocers      132 Henwood Gn Rd
P Henwood Cottage
Q Damson Cottage
R Royal Oak    216 Henwood Gn Rd.
S Queens Folly / Curblows
T Beaglewood Farm Oast Houses.   5 Kiln complex.     Destroyed by fire in 1952.
V 81-83 Henwood Green Rd
Y Brick & Tile Works
Z Institute and Library



List of Houses and Buildings for map 221 – Lower Green – South


A Rose Cottage
B Laurel Cottage
C Grocers / Florists / Butcher / General store   122 – 126 Henwood Gn Rd
D Grenestede Villas  D1 & D1
E Grenestede Villas  E1  & E2
F Grenestede Villas  extension
G Gibralter Cottage
H Lillescote      110 Henwood Gn Rd.
I Oak Lodge
K Knight’s Place
M Baptish Church / Union Chapel
N Chapel Cottage
O Swiss Cottage / Betts Grocers      132 Henwood Gn Rd
P Henwood Cottage
Q Damson Cottage
T Beaglewood Farm Oast Houses.   5 Kiln complex.     Destroyed by fire in 1952.
X Old coach house to Oak Lodge.  Now called Pines
Y                          (Beagleswood Rd now between  W & Y)

The Courier of  31 Oct 1952 reports the fire at Beagleswood farm caused £6000 of damage and was spotted at about 5pm.
Although claimed to be a hop farm, owned by J.C. Lamont and managed by Mr T. Richardson, the main report describes
the storage of 2000 bushells of apples and the bumper apple harvest.

Above:  1892 map with Beagleswood Farm Oast House highlighted

Above:  1936 map with Beagleswood Farm Oast House highlighted.  Note additional kiln projection.



Link to Houses page and Houses main list  –   Pembury Houses


Above – a map from Issue 37 of the Pembury Village News 1983 of the intended Supermarket at Lower Green.
(Orientation of this map is North to the left)

The application was refused and the site later used for the Waterfield House Surgery and more housing.

See archived Pembury Village News issues 37 to 45 for the full story.


Tony Nicholls  2021

Localities - Lower Green
style="text-align: center; width: 1024px;" class="text-descriptive" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" border="0">
Pembury History

IMPORTANT !!!     This needs your help.  All contributions will be credited.  If you have any further information or corrections please contact me –
Tony Nicholls      email: