Houses - Main List
This page provides a list of the old houses in Pembury. It is a work in progress and is not complete – may never be complete.
Its purpose is to document basic parameters such as names, dates, building changes and possibly owners/residents.
Anyone researching or reading about Pembury will come across an
assortment of house names with no address nor indication of location.
Many contemporary writings just refer to ‘housename‘, Pembury as if that is sufficient.
In many cases the same house will go through a number of name changes based on the whims of the resident or owner.
Sometimes there are two houses with the same name – usually different date & different era.
There may be houses listed here that are outside Pembury but have got included in Pembury listings.
This page hopes to make the understanding of house names a lot easier.
Where there is a detailed description of a house on another part of this
web site you will be pointed in that direction (hopefully!).
Be aware of the distinction in listings between Lower Green and Lower Green Road.
One is a broad area encompassing Lower Gr Rd, Romford Rd & Henwood
Gn Rd – the other just the road. Lower Green is taken directly from a
directory listing and does not specify the address. See Ryecroft as an
example. Locations below reflect how they are expressed in many
Directory searches have not gone much beyond 1940. By this time house numbers had become quite common.
Some entries have dates to indicate the year of the directory entry. As an example –
Acacia Villa was discovered in a 1931 directory and with no recollection of having seen it in an early directory.
Although it was a legal requirement from the 18th century for town
houses to be numbered this was pretty much ignored in rural areas.
Even into the 20th century the post was delivered by local folk who knew every house and every resident.
From very early times the numbering convention was odds to the left,
evens to the right, count starting from the town centre outward.
|List of Houses in Pembury by old housename. (modern houses excluded)
|Acacia Villa 49, 51, 53 Hastings Rd (1931)
Almshouse (The) 9-19 Hastings Rd
Alpine Cottages, Lower Green Rd (demolished 1929)
Aymestry, High St (Charles Raisewell 1927)
Arnold Lodge, Lower Green (Detail Entry No16 below)
Ashburnham Cottage – Pound Cottage – 2 Lower Green Road ?
Ashcroft 38 Lower Green Rd
Ashdown Lower Green Rd (1931)
Baileys, Baileys Farmhouse or Bayleys 44-46 Henwood Green Road
Beech Bank (Beech House?) 54 Hastings Rd.
Beverley 117 Hastings Rd.
Bo Peep Cottages (demolished) (4 dwellings) ?? Hastings Rd Somewhere near Bo-Peep corner
Bo Peep (Stores, House) 153 Hastings Rd see Retail & Shops/Hastings Rd page
Brackenhurst – see Dower House (Detail Entry No7 below) (This is NOT ‘Brackenhurst’ in Lower Gn Rd)
Brick Cottage – see Queens Folly (Detail Entry No10 below)
Calder Cottage (1898 to 1911)
(possibly renamed as Lillescote, Henwood Green Rd in
Calverley Grange (1878)
Camden Lodge (1898)
Casa Matcoda, Aberdare, The Warren (3 bungalows) ?????
Chestnuts (The) Village Green – residential part of wheelwright’s shop Demolished.
Chalfont 31 & 33 Romford Road when "Scattered Home" a boys home for 20 boys (1927) (Detail Entry No19 below)
Chapel Cottage, (adjacent to and belonging to Baptist Church)
Chapel House (Possibly the same as Chapel Cottage)
Chapel Villas between 57 & 67 Hastings Rd
Chippings, 61 Lower Green Road. (Detail Entry No13 below)
Church House – see Postillions (Detail Entry No4 below)
Clarence Cottage 4 High St Old Post Office / Nat West Bank / Nanna’s Cafe
Colebrook Park (1886)
Collingham 85 Hastings Rd Home of James Seymour, professional cricketer 1911/18
Cottage (The) Lower Green 70 Lower Green Road.
Curblows – Curbow Villas see Queens Folly (Detail Entry No10 below)
Dairy (The) 115 Hastings Rd
Darley Dale ?? Hastings Road Possibly between 153 – 125 Hastings Rd.
Dingledon 111 Hastings Rd
Dunedin (1903) 8 Hastings Road (1907) Opposite Old Wesleyan Church, Hastings Rd.
Ebenezer Cottages, Lower Green Rd/Church Rd.
Fairfield Poss 6 Hastings Rd.
Field View 109 Hastings Rd.
Forresters (The) Romford Rd. Forresters
Arms public house. See Pubs & Beerhouses retail page.
Gates House (The) 5 Lower Green Road – see Sunnyside.
Gimble Grove, Gimble house
Glebe House (demolished)
Goddens Cottages possibly Lower Green Rd – near the green
Grelfry Cottages 4,6, 8 Lower Green Road (1939)
Greenways 81 Hastings Rd
Grovecott or Grove Cottage 53 High Street also known as the Square Deal Cafe (Detail Entry No11 below)
Harcourt House, Harcourt Lodge, York House 1 Hastings Rd
Harlon Lower Green Rd (1931)
Harriet Cottages 61/63/65 Hastings Rd
Harriett Villas 67/69 Hastings Rd.
Haven (The) Lower Green Rd. (1931)
Hawkwell Place Hawkwell House ?
Hawkwell House (apartments 1931 Mrs Elizabeth Dew)
Hawkwood House (1934)
Hayeswood (or Hays Wood) at Three Towns, Romford Rd.
Hazeldean Romford Road. (later The Priory)
Heatherton – between 32 – 46 High Street. Also known as & The Larches (Detail Entry No9 below)
Highfield House 31 Hastings Road. Also known as Waterloo Inn (Detail Entry No5 below)
Hill View 12 – 22 Hastings Rd.
Holly Bank, 52 Hastings Rd.
Homefield (1938) Lower Green Road. Demolished for new housing now accessed via Henwood Green Rd.
Hubbles (Hubbles Farm ?) 30 Hastings Rd.
Hygea Cottage (1855) Lower Green Road – near the green
Ingleton, Sweeps Hill Close. (Detail Entry No12 below)
Inverclyde 83 Hastings Rd
Kenilworth, 79 Hastings Road – also one in Amberleaze Drive 1961
Kenmore, Lower Green Rd (1955 location of Dr D. Waterfield’s surgery)
Kenwards (Detail Entry No18 below)
Knights Place (Now converted to flats – Lower Green Road) Link to full page
Knights Ridge, Lower Green Rd (demolished)
Larches – between 32 – 46 High Street. (Detail Entry No9 below)
Laurelhurst, (or Laurel Hurst) Lower Gn Laurelhurst 1897 17 Romford Road
Little Harcourt ?? Hastings Rd
Lillescot, Lillescote 110 Henwood Green Rd, (Detail Entry No15 below)
Limes (The) Lower Gn.
Lodge (The) 7 Lower Green Road (Detail Entry No3 below)
Lodge (The) Church Rd (1982 PVN)
Lonsdale 35 Romford Road
Manchester House – see Postillions (Detail Entry No4 below)
Manor House (The) – 3 Lower Green Rd (Detail Entry No1 below)
Manse (The) Adjacent Baptist Church, Lower Gn Rd.
Maple Hurst (1919) Maplehurst (1927)
Marshley harbour (1919)
Meadowlands High St (1927)
Milliners ????? Hastings Rd ???
Mulbury House, Hastings Rd (1937 – 1948)
Mullberry House 1,3 Hastings Road (1939) (now York House)
Myrtle Cottage, Henwood Green Road/Romford Road. (Detail Entry No14 below)
Oakdene Villas 55, 57 Hastings Rd
Oak Lodge, Lower Gn. Now in Henwood Green Roaf, but before Polley Close access from Lower Green Rd.
Old Place (The) – see Lillescote 110 Henwood Green Rd, (Detail Entry No15 below)
Pembury Cottage between 32 – 46 High Street. (Detail Entry No9 below)
Pembury Grange , Sandown Park, TW. Ed Gilbert Article
Pembury Hall, Old Church Road.
Pembury Terrace – Lower Green Road – see notes on Sunnyside – Sunnyside Page
Pendryl (1927) Lower Gn Rd (1940)
Pitts Farm Henwood Green Rd, opposite Baileys
Poppingbury 75 Hastings Road. (Detail Entry No6 below)
Poplars (The) 35 High St
Postillions 2 Hastings Road (Detail Entry No4 below)
Pound Cottage 2 Lower Green Rd. (was Ashburnham)
Priory (The) see Hazeldean
Providence Place ?? Hastings Rd (demolished) (10 dwellings) Somewhere near Bo-Peep corner.
Prospect Villa (Lower Green area)
Pump House 23 Romford Road
Queens Folly Lower Green Rd (was Curblows) (Detail Entry No10 below)
Red Cottage (possibly Chapel Cottage)
Redwall Villa (probably 26-28 Hastings Rd.)
Rosemont See item 20 below, along with Vermont.
Rumford House (Revd Woodgate 1878)
Ryecroft, Lower Gn. 37 Romford Road
Sheen ?? Hastings Road (Detail Entry No17 below) (possibly 123 & 125 Hastings Rd)
Skinners Farm – what is now Myrtle Cottage
Spring Cottage (1855) Lower Green Road – near the green
Spring Grove (1855)
Springfield 35 (with 37) Hastings Rd.
Stanley Cottage, High St. (1913 /19 J.P. Austin Vet)
Stanmore Villa (1879)
Stantone (Melville’s 1858 for Bonner & Shaw)) may be a spelling error!
Stanton House & Little Stanton (Romford Rd)
St David’s Romford Rd (1907)
St Michaels 121 Hastings Rd
Stratford House Sandown Park area – not Pembury.
Strathbogie – see Dower House (Detail Entry No7 below)
Stone Court (demolished)
Sunhill – between 32 – 46 High Street. Also know as Heatherton & The Larches (Detail Entry No9 below)
Sunnyside – 5 Lower Green Rd see The Gates House (Detail Entry No2 below)
Swiss Cottage 124 Henwood Green Rd. See Pubs & Beerhouses retail page.
Terrace (The) – see Pembury Terrace
Thornfield Sandown Park – not Pembury
Valeside 41 Romford Road
Vermont (Hastings Road – near Belfield Road) See item 20 below
Vicarage (The) 4 Hastings Rd. (PVN No 27 1981 Village Organisations)
Vicarage (The) Lower Green Rd (1892 OS map)
Waltham Villa (1916)
Waterloo Cottage 110 Henwood Green Rd, (Detail Entry No15 below)
Waterloo Inn – see Highfield House. See Pubs & Beerhouses retail page.
Wayland House, High St
Wayside, Lower Green (1927)
Weald View 119 Hastings Rd
Willmotts – see Postillions (Detail Entry No4 below)
Woodland Terrace 103-113 Hastings Rd or 101-107 Hastings Rd. (109 Hastings Rd was 5 Woodland Terrace)
Woodland Villas 91-97 Hastings Rd
Woodsgate Woodsgate corner – demolished
Woodside Romford Road (as an address it may be indicating Woodside Rd)
Note 1 – Houses Camden Lodge, Jawmadon, Albany Villa, Fairlight
House, ?…do Flat, Pembury Garage Flat and Rosemott are between 52
& 30 Hastings Rd on a 1931 property listing.
Note 2 – Houses Saythorne, Shirley Dene, Meadow View, Annswell,
Shere Cottage, Lincoln are between 153 & 123 Hastings Rd on a 1931
Note 3 – Houses – Corlacturn, Wrest, Meadowside,
are between 97 & 54 Hastings Rd on a 1931 property listing.
Note 4 – Houses Casa Matcoda, Aberdare, The Warren (3 bungalows ?)
are between 19 & 31 Hastings Rd on a 1931 property listing.
| The main Lower Green page has a house identification map – Lower Green Page
The references page shows old Pembury Telephone numbers – Reference Page
||The Manor House – 3 Lower Green Road.
F.E. Burke 1886 (Ky) Mrs Purnell 1903
||The Gates House – 5 Lower Green Road. Known as Sunnyside in the 1800s
Former distiller, solicitor, translater John Thomas Betts (1809-1894) lived at Sunnyside from 1871-1894 (EG)
Mrs Betts (died 1916) 1898, 1903, 1911, 1916 [also 1919!] (Ky).
Betts was partner in Peto & Betts – building and railway contractors. (MS)Link to page with greater details –
5 Lower Green Road https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1261383
||The Lodge – 7 Lower Green Road.
Henry Dittmer 1892 (Ky) Revd RFW Molesworth 1903 (Kellys) A.H. Onffroy 1911 (Ky)
Mr Ditmar’s School for Sons of Gentlemen. (MS)https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1254379
||Postillions – 2 Hastings Road also known as Church House, Manchester House, Willmotts.
See entry under Buildings and Landmarks. Postillions
||Highfield House 31 Hastings
Road. Also known as Waterloo Inn – see Pubs &
Beerhouses under Shops & Retail.
||Poppingbury 75 Hastings Road. Rumoured to be one of the oldest houses in Pembury
||Dower House Tonbridge Road. Also known as Brackenstone, Strathbogie and various chains of hotels.
See entry under Buildings & Landmarks Dower House
||Wayland House 20 High Street
||Sunhill – between 32 – 46 High Street. Also know as Heatherton, Pembury Cottage & The Larches
See entry under Buildings & Landmarks - Larches
||Queens Folly Lower Green Road/Beagles Wood Road. c1626. Also known as Curbelows and Brick Cottage (MS)
||Grovecott or Grove Cottage 53 High Street also known as the Square Deal Cafe – see Shops & Retail.
Demolished for the development of Sycamore Cottages.
||Ingleton, Sweeps Hill Close. House demolished in 1973 to make way for the development of Sweeps Hill Close. (MS)
||The Chippings, 61 Lower Green Road. Listed Buildings Historic England
||Myrtle Cottage, Henwood Green
Road/Romford Road. Once known as Skinners Farm. Home to the Jarvis
family – coal, coke & wood merchants. (MS) https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1074939
|110 Henwood Green Road, also known as Lillescote / Lilliscote, formerly known as Waterloo Cottages.
1830 – Tythe map, plot 835, owner BAKER
1840 – Tythe map, unknown / not checked
1851 – Waterloo Cottages, lived in by William & Elizabeth HOSKIN.
——♦ William, aged 60, born in Cornwall, Chelsea Pensioner
——♦ Elizabeth, aged 52, wife
1861 – Waterloo Cottages, lived in by William HOSKIN
——♦ William, aged 70
——♦ Mary Constable, aged 39, visitor, born in Brenchley
——♦ Elizabeth Joseph, aged 13, servant, born in Hartfield
1871 – Henwood Green Road, Waterloo Cottage, lived in by Sarah BAKER
——♦ Sarah, aged 69, head of house, born in Pembury
——♦ Sarah J Trift, aged 15, servant
1881 – Lower Green Henwood Green Road, lived in by Sarah BAKER
——♦ Sarah, aged 78, head of house, Farmer’s Widower
——♦ Sarah J Trift, aged 24, servant
NB: There is another Sarah BAKER, same age in Pembury who is also down as Coffee Tavern Keeper
1891 – Cannot find the house
1901 – Cannot find the house
1911 – Cannot find the house
1921 – Cannot find the house
1929 – Lillescote, William & Elizabeth COLLINS
——♦ House went up for sale in 1929 due to the death of Elizabeth 26th February
——♦ K&S paper – Freehold, detached. 3 reception rooms, 5 bedrooms, good domestic offices, stable,
————-coach house suitable for garage, main drainage, very attractive, gardens and paddock – 1.5 acres
1939 – Lilliscote (spelling change), lived in by Roy & Hilde G FARRANT
——♦ 1939 Register
——♦ 1930 – 1939 BT Phone Books
——♦ 1941 / 1943 BT Phone Books
——♦ 1944 – House was put up for rent
——♦ 1945 – House was put up for rent
——♦ 1946 / 1948 / 1949 – BT Phone Books
NB: Hilde Farrant’s daughter’s (Muriel) 1st marriage was in Pembury, to Jack WHITING (RAF) in 1938.
———-Muriel’s 2nd marriage was to Baron Hugh DOWDING.
———–Baroness Dowding VP RSPCA – Animal Activist
1959 to 1963– 110 Henwood Green Road, live in by Captain GJ MEADE-VALDO-VAN
——♦ Leicestershire Regiment, service number 70229.
——♦ Grandad was Edmond Meade-Waldo of Hever Castle
1965 to 1974 – 110 Henwood Green Road, live in by Mr M C Malone
1975 to 1990 – Cannot find the house
——♦ 1976 – planning rejected detached dwelling, Harp House
——♦ July 1987 – planning withdrawn for 5 detached houses
——♦ Sept 1987 – planning refused for 4 detached houses
——♦ Feb 1988 – planning accepted for 3 detached houses
1991 – Berkley Close was created
1991 to 2005 – Salah & Siobhan SHALLABY
2005 to 2014 – Amanda HOBROW
2014 to Present Day (2020) – The BEVIERE’S
Research data and chronology list provided by Jennifer Beviere Jan 2020
||Arnold Lodge – Lower Green – Exact location unknown.
PO Directory 1911 has Mrs Banks at Arnold Lodge with phone No 31.
Kelly’s for 1911 has a Miss Chipperfield at Arnold Lodge.
Kelly’s for 1912 has a Mrs Banks at Arnold Lodge.
Kelly’s for 1913 has a Ralph Winder at Arnold Lodge.
Kelly’s for 1914 has a Ralph Humphrey Winder at Arnold Lodge.
Research data and chronology list provided by Jennifer Beviere, Jane Grooms, Tony Nicholls Sept 2020
||Sheen (not referred to as Sheen House), 121 Hastings Road
Used by GP Dr Dorrit Waterfield and dentist Reginald Warrener as surgeries in the 1930s – 1940s
Location in Hastings Road identified by Robin Kenworthy and Barry Sturgeon.
121 and 123 are out of sequence with the rest of Hastings Road. 121 (Sheen) is next to Stanam Road steps.
See item 22 on this page for history of dental surgery in Hastings Rd.
||Kenwards – farm at the very north of Pembury in Dislingbury Rd / Half Moon Rd.
||Chalfont 31 & 33 Romford Road when "Scattered Home" a boys home for 20 boys
1911 The Walshe family in residence – from 1911 census.
1912 Report in The Courier of intention to create a boys home in Pembury.
From c1912 known as Tonbridge Union Boys Home (20 boys) - probably an annexe of the Tonbridge Workhouse.
1913 Newspaper cutting makes note of a doctor wanting more pay for visiting this boys home.From c1916 known as Tonbridge Union Scattered Homes.
From c1924 also known as Scattered Homes or Scattered Homes for Boys.
Last known listing was in 1937. House to become two residential dwellings.
Link to Tonbridge Workhouse http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Tonbridge/
||Vermont - somewhere in Hastings Road. Now thought to be 37 Hastings Rd.
No recorded occupants or mention of the name Vermont prior to 1892 in Kelly's. None found after 1937.
From various directories the occupants were -
John Wardell Britain 1892 - 1903
J.T. Farrant 1904 - 1919
James Perkins 1924 - 1927 The Brookes Family were known to be staying here in 1922
Miss C.H. Andrews, Private School Vermont, Hastings Rd. 1937
Kathryn Franklin's research notes -
Pembury High School (Miss E.E. Robbins) 30 Hastings Rd 1938 - tenuous school association
Robbins Miss E.E. Prepratory School, Rosemott, Hastings Rd 1940 (no later entries)
I had thought that at one time both houses had been used as one school but further investigation has revealed:
Sept 1888 – The Miss Noakes ‘having removed
from Ventnor will re-open their school at Springfield, Pembury
(Boarders £25, Day girls £4 pa)’. Pupils prepared for music
exams of Trinity college London.
1903/04/07 – The Miss Noakes still the
principals of the school at Springfield. School in association with
Trinity college. Probably ceased c1913.
1901 – Mr Robert Batcheller owned
Springfield (Tenants the Miss Noakes) & Vermont (Tenant Mr Britain)
The three had a dispute with the Gas board about polluting the water for
the 2 properties.
Vermont a private house until 1935 when it became a girls’ boarding school (Also day & young boys).
Principal Miss Andrews School run until 1944 when Miss Andrews died.
The events of 1901
confirm that we are looking at a pair of houses – ie adjoining semis (Mr
B built various
pairs of semis around the village in the 1880s)
Springfield was a school from 1888 to c1913
Vermont was a different school from 1935 to 1944
At all other times they
were private dwellings, except in recent years No 37 (ie Vermont) has
become a B&B.
I don’t actually know anything about Rosemott (This is the name, not Rosemont, as I thought).
Faulkner family there from 1929 to 1938 and Robbins family from 1939 to c1945. First mentioned 1899.
Victorian semis which fits the earliest reference in
Below is the geographical order as outlined in the censuses:
The Censuses are always walked and recorded in geographical order and we have:
1901 (walking N to S toward BoPeep) – Hillview, Hastings Rd, Springfield, Vermont, Rosemont, Fairlight
1911 (walking N to S toward BoPeep) – Springfield, Vermont, Dunedin, Hillview Rd
1939 (walking S to N toward High St.) – Highfield, Springfield, redacted, Milliners, PO, Belfield Rd.
It is assumed that the Kelly 1938 entry claiming No 30 Hastings Rd is a printing error, as is 'Rosemott'.
No 30 Hastings Road is the old Hubbles Farm house and is unsuitable as a school.
Further directory research linking Vermont, Springfield and Rosemont -
Kelly's 1886 - no mention of Vermont, Springfield or Rosemont.
Kelly's 1889 - Noakes sisters at Springfield running a school, no mention of Vermont or Rosemont.
(Sylvia c1852 - ??) (Ellen c1853 - ??) born in Brenchley.
Kelly's 1892 - 1903 - Sylvia & Ellen Noakes running a girls school at Springfiled, Britain at Vermont, no Roesmont.
Kelly's 1904 - Noakes school at Springfield, Farrant at Vermont, no Rosemont.
Pelton 1907 - Noakes ladies school ar Springfield, Farrant at Vermont, no Rosemont.
Kelly's 1924 - Thompson at Springfield, Perkins at Vermont, Corbett at Rosemont.
Kelly's 1927 - Thompson at Springfield, Perkins at Vermont, no Rosemont.
Kelly's 1937 - Miss C Andrews, school at Vermont. Missing domestic residents list from this issue.
Kelly's 1938 - Miss E. Robbins, Pembury High school at Vermont. Missing domestic residents list from this issue.
Kelly's 1940 - Miss E. Robbins, Prep school at Rosemont. Missing domestic residents list from this issue.
Directory listings at this web site later than this date are not complete and lack the residential content.
Further investigation at Tonbridge & Tunbridge Wells libraries is required.
The house may have later had its name changed or dropped when house numbering was adopted.
| The main Lower Green page has a house identification map – Lower Green Page
Credits for contributions Ed Gilbert, Kathryn
Franklin, Jeni Beviere, Jane Grooms,
Page compiled by Tony Nicholls
If you have fresh information or need to contact a contributor to this page please contact me by email –
Tony Nicholls email@example.com and label the subject Pembury Houses.
Houses - Main List
This needs your help. All contributions will be credited.
If you have any further information or corrections please contact me –
Tony Nicholls email: firstname.lastname@example.org