Retail - Lower Green
Compiled by Tony Nicholls
The Shops and Old Businesses of
Lower Green & Northern Pembury
The map below indicates the locations of the premises detailed in the main information table.
Each location entry lists the businesses occupying that site.
The lists run in chronological order – latest at the top, and oldest at the bottom.
Dates are given if known to be accurate, with a ‘c’ if approximate, and ‘????’ if unknown.
References are given to indicate the origin of the information.
Abbreviations are detailed at the bottom of the page.
Personal contributions are acknowledged by initials and shown in full at the bottom of the page.
Possible error with Rogers & Fuller occupying same premises?>
||72 Lower Green Road
Post Office & General Store (pre1882 – 2005)
Original ground floor building demolished for domestic garden c2010.
A.C. King grocer & Post Office 72 Lower Gn Rd 1965, 1970, 1974 Kelly’s Dir
King’s Post Office & Off-License (1966) Pembury Parish Guide 1966
C.H. Read grocer & Post Office 72 Lower Gn Rd 1959 Kelly’s Dir
Beeching Stores grocer & Post Office 72 Lower Gn Rd 1934 Kelly’s Dir
Beeching General Store (1922) Post Office sign on lower wall. From Mary Standen’s Old Picture Postcards p59
Postmaster 1914 Henry Beeching (Kelly’s 1903, 1904, 1914, 1916, 1919, 1927)
H. Beeching Grocer & Draper , Lower Green – Kelly’s Directory 1882, 1899 listing
Official Post Office History:
Pembury Lower Green PO: established 1887 under Tunbridge Wells;
became a Money Order & Savings Bank on 1/7/1890, closed 21/1/2005.
Courtesy of Robin Sampson, The British Postal Museum & Archive.
||216 Henwood Green Road
Royal Oak Public House (???? – 2013)
See Pembury Pubs page for more detail.
|| approx 170 Henwood Green Road
Wood Butcher (c1908) From Mary Standen’s Old Picture Postcards p34
Charles Wood, butcher, Lower Green 1912 Kelly’s Dir
The picture on p34 needs to be analysed to determine Wood’s location in Henwood Green Road.
To the right of the 5 children is a block of wooden clad houses set back behind a fence.
The furthest house in this block is assumed to be No 172.
The first of the next block, standing forward on the street is taken to be No174
The block of houses in the middle distance is no longer there and taken to be on the site of the doctors’ surgery car park.
This is Slate Row.
The gable end of the building in the far distance is taken to be the side of the Royal Oak.
In 2013 the alignment and siting of these buildings matches the 1908 photograph.
From this standpoint C. Wood is thought to be at No 170 or possibly 168 Henwood Green Road.
||186 Henwood Green Road.The map shows No 53 as the building occupied as the Waterfield House surgery.
The intention is to describe the whole plot occupied by the surgery and its car park, including the demolished Slate Row.
Waterfield House Doctor Surgery (1989 – current)
Dr A.J. Cameron (???? – 2018)
Dr R.J. Justice (???? – current)
Dr P.M. Lautch (???? – 2020)
Dr J.S O’Neill (???? – current)
Waterfield House named after Dr Dorrit Waterfield in practice in Pembury for over 50 years. Died April 1982.
Dr Waterfield’s surgery previously at 40 Lower Green Road (PVN Issue 140) Kelly’s Dir 1959 – 1974
Dr Waterfield’s surgery previously at ‘Kenmore’ Lower Green Road Kelly’s Dir 1955
Dr Waterfield’s surgery previously at ‘Sheen’ Hastings Road Kelly’s Dir 1931 – 1950
.. ‘Sheen’ location is identified as 123-125 Hastings Road. See ‘Houses’ page – main list.
.. .Sheen surgery shared with dentist Reginald Warrener from 1933 (Kelly’s).
.. Dr Raymond Chapman – c1937 – 1948 (Kelly’s) at Mulberry House, Hastings Road.
.. Location Map Coloured areas indicate the locations of surgery and waiting room. (JH)
.. Practice taken over by Dr Arthur Loden, Sunhill House, High St Kelly’s Dir 1955
.. Reference article in PVN 137 page19
The other G.P. found in Pembury, not at this site, is Dr B. Singh of 59 Lower Green Road.
PVN 112 of 2002 claims 59 Lower Gn Rd as a former surgery.
Dr Singh possibly practiced between 1982 – 1989. Needs verification.
Archive Pembury Village News issues 33, 34 and others cover Dr Waterfield’s death.
214 Henwood Green Road ( as Slate Row )
See item 52 for more details of the building on the site of the car park. See Lower Green Maps for greater detail
Site of ‘Slate Row’, a set of 4 terraced houses used as shops and business activities.
Clarks – Butcher (????) PVN Issue 101 2000 D.L. Edmonson Looking Back
Ron & Yvonne Clark Pre 1958 –
Clark & Sons Butcher Pembury Parish Guide 1966 1955, 1959, 1974 Kelly’s Dir
Clark & Son Purveyors of Finest Meat 214 Henwood Green Road (WISB 1965)
Alfred Clark, shopkeeper, Lower
Green 1912 Kelly’s Dir (only by association with
Clark & Son at this location)
Spurrells – Electrician (????) PVN Issue 101 2000 D.L. Edmonson Looking BackPembury in the Past – PVN Issues 84/85 (Pembury Library) indicates that the building standing on the site of the doctors’ surgery was known as Slate Row.
The house numbering in this area is a bit strange. From 184 to the Royal Oak (216) we have 186 – 214.
186 is taken by the surgery. 214 was known as the butcher next to the Royal Oak. This leaves 8 free even numbers.
Issue 37 of the Pembury Village News 1983 shows the intended Supermarket at Lower Green.
The application was refused and the site later used for the Waterfield House Surgery.
See archived Pembury Village News issues 37 to 45 for the full story.
||132 Henwood Green Road
Pembury Grill & Kebab centre – Fast Food (???? – 2013)
General store (c2000)
Betts Licensed Grocer Pembury Parish Guide 1966 1961, 1963, 1965, 1970 Kelly’s Dir
D.W. Betts Grocer, Provisions, Beer, Wine, Spirits Lower Green (WISB 1965)
Mr Nurden – Sweets, tobacco & beer PVN Issues 84/85 1995 – Pembury Library
A.W. Cross grocer 132 Henwood Gn Kelly’s Directory 1959
William Nurden – Beer Retailer Kelly’s Directory 1911, 1912, 1914
||124 Henwood Green Road
Pembury Florists 122-124 Henwood Green Rd (Outlook 1991 – 1993)
Aaron Flowers 124 Henwood Green Road Aaron Flowers PVN Issue 56 1989 – Pembury Library
Derek & Daphne Betts Florists & Greengrocers 124/126 Henwood Green Road PVN Issue 17 1978
G.H. Baker Henwood Stores 124-126 Henwood Green Road (WISB 1965)
Miss G. Baker fruiter 124/126 Henwood Gn Rd 1961, 1965, 1972, 1974 Kelly’s Dir
||122 – 126 Henwood Green Road
Pembury Village Stores (2011? – current)
Speaight’s Butcher Peter Speaight ( also seen as
Speight) 122 Henwood Green Road.
(???? – c2010?)
P & M Speaight Family Butcher (Outlook 1991 – 1993)
F. Fuller Butcher 122 Henwood Green Road (WISB 1965)
F.C.S. Fuller butcher 122 Henwood Gn Rd 1955, 1961, 1965, 1970, 1972 Kelly’s Dir
A. Rogers (Butchers) Ltd butcher 122 Henwood Gn Rd 1959 Kelly’s Dir
A. Rogers (Butchers) Ltd butcher Henwood Gn Rd 1955 Kelly’s Dir
Possible error with Rogers & Fuller at same address, same time ?
?? George Russell, butcher , Lower Green (no specific address) 1924 – 1948 Kelly’s Dir
||81 & 83 Henwood Green Road
A small block of houses centred around Nos 81 & 83 Henwood Green Road used as small shops.
No 81 subdivided for 81 & 81a. No 81a carries a tiled nameplate – “The Old Bakery”
Video Inn 81 Henwood Green Road PVN Issue 56 1989 – Pembury Library :-
….……...advertising videos, newspapers, sweets, groceries, cigarettes.
B.A. Groves grocer 81 Henwood Gn Rd 1972, 1974 Kelly’s Dir
Wiseways Meat, Bread, Groceries 81 Henwood Green Road PVN Issue 16 1978
D.G. Martin grocer 81 Henwood Gn Rd 1961, 1963, 1965, 1968 Kelly’s Dir
Turner Grocer (c1908) From Mary Standen’s Old Picture Postcards p34
The photo on page 34 describes Turner in his white apron outside his grocer’s shop.
Turner is taken to be on the far left of the picture – maybe on the site of the Library – opposite Waterfield House.
This is not to be mistaken for the gent in an white apron outside Wood’s butcher’s shop.
A. Turner & Son Ltd grocer Lower Gn Rd
1927, 1934, 1937, 1940, 1948, 1950, 1955,
1959 Kelly’s Dir
Mrs Turner grocer Lower Green 1924 Kelly’s Dir (Wife of Alfred Turner ? )
Alfred Turner – Grocer, Lower Gn. – Kelly’s Directory of 1911, 1914, 1916, 1919
This photo shows Alfred Turner’s shop in Henwood Green Road – date unknown.
Rex Turner (????) PVN Issue 101 2000 D.L. Edmonson Looking Back.
This refers to Turner being ‘opposite’ the site of Waterfield House.
Rex Turner, grocer, Henwwod Green Rd. (????) PVN Issue 61 1990 Pembury Library.
||Forge at Lower Green From Mary Standen’s Old Picture Postcards p35
Described as being on the site of the library’s car park. Old OS maps confirm this.
See Lower Green Maps for greater detail
Kelly’s Directory of 1914 entries –
Edward Drury – Wheelwright, Lower Green Photo – Mary Standen’s Old Picture Postcards p61
Albert Eaton – Blacksmith, Lower Green
Stephen Edwards – Blacksmith, Lower Green
Edward Drury wheelwright Lower Gn. 1899, 1904, 1916, 1919 Kelly’s Dir
Albert Eaton blacksmith Lower Gn 1899, , 1904, 1911 Kelly’s Dir
Mrs Albert Eaton blacksmith Lower Gn 1916 Kelly’s Dir
George Waghorn & Sons blacksmiths Lower Green 1927 Kelly’s Dir Spelling different to later Waghorne
George Waghorn sexton (verger, parish clerk, church
officer ) Lower Green 1911, 1916, 1919, 1924 Kelly’s Dir
George Waghorn farrier, general smith & wheelwright Lower Green 1919, 1924 Kelly’s Dir
Mary Standen in Pembury in the Past, p5, refers to blacksmith’s house in bottom picture.
The ‘Smithy’ location is usually shown as a collection of 3 buildings, marked on the map above as A, B, C.
The building referred to in the photo must be ‘A’, placing the forge and blacksmith workshops as buildings B & C.
Jack Standen, writing in the 1966 Parish Guide – page 9, refers to the 3
buildings as the Forge, Smithy’s House and Wheelwright’s Shop.
||Shop in Church Road (maybe 49)
Tobacconist, Confectioner, General Store (BR) (MG)
Sidney Withers Gimble Mead Stores Church
Rd 1959, 1955, 1963, 1965, 1970, 1972, 1974 Kelly’s Dir
J.F. Withers grocer Church Rd 1950 Kelly’s Dir
Matthew Ogle grocer Church Rd 1948 Kelly’s Dir
Betts (???) Same Betts or related, as in Item 54 (132 Henwood Gn Rd)? Same as Item 01 (No2 High St)?
Albert Logsdon grocer Church Rd 1940 Kelly’s Dir
E.H. Slowgrove grocer Church Rd 1937 Kelly’s Dir
|| 40 Lower Green Road
Dorrit Waterhouse Physician
(surgery) 40 Lower Green
Rd 1959, 1961, 1963, 1965, 1974 Kelly’s Dir
Dorrit Waterhouse Physician (surgery) Kenmore, Lower Gn 1955 Kelly’s Dir
Previously at ‘Sheen’ Hastings Rd 1933, 1950 Kelly’s Dir
| Unresolved shopkeepers – help needed
J.H. Baggesen, nurseryman, Stone Court Nurseries, Lower Green 1963 Kelly’s Dir
Frank Barrow shopkeeper Lower Green 1904 Kelly’s Dir
A. Birch confectioner 2 Rose Cottage Lower Green 1938, 1948 Kelly’s Dir
Miss A. Birch confectioner Lower Green Rd 1937, 1940, 1950 Kelly’s Dir
James Birch bootmaker Lower Gn 1899, 1904 Kelly’s Dir
British Road Services (depot) Henwood Gn Rd 1955 Kelly’s Dir
N Burton Jn butcher Lower Green Rd 1934 Kelly’s Dir
Harold Chapman butcher Lower Gn Rd 1899 Kelly’s Dir
Mrs Eva Mary Chatfield laundress Lower Green 1919 Kelly’s Dir
Cyril Collison boot repairer 34 Elmhurst
Ave Lower Green Rd 1934 Kelly’s Dir
William Cornwell grocer Lower Green 1924 Kelly’s Dir
Stephen Waters Edwards boot maker Lower Gn 1916, 1919 Kelly’s Dir
G.T. Ellis grocer Lower Gn 1899 Kelly’s Dir
George Ellis Potato Salesman 1904, 1916, 1919 Kelly’s
Mrs Ellis potato dealer 1924 Kelly’s Dir
Mrs E.H. Ellis confectioner Lower Green Rd 1927, 1934 Kelly’s Dir
Frank Fairbrother butcher Lower Green 1911 Kelly’s Dir
E.G. Green & Son, panel beaters & welders Digbate House, 210 Henwood Green Rd 1969-70 Kent Trade Guide
George Jarvis coal merchant, Lower Green 1924 Kelly’s Dir
Frederick Kates grocer Lower Green Rd 1934 Kelly’s Dir
Percy T. Kenwright grocer Lower Green Rd
1940 Kelly’s Dir See Pubs Page – Swiss
Lamberts (H.D. Vinson) grocers Lower Gn Rd 1937, 1938 Kelly’s Dir
Miss R.E.G. Nash midwife Lower Green 1924 Kelly’s Dir
Norman K. Lyn butcher Lower Green 1950 Kelly’s Dir
George Page fishmonger Henwood Green Rd 1948 Kelly’s Dir
Jas. Hy. Masters Tea Rooms Lower Green 1924 Kelly’s Dir
H. Parks boot maker & repairer Lower Gn Rd 1934, 1937, 1938, 1940, 1948, 1959 Kelly’s Dir
Pembury Dairies (George Payne) Henwood Gn Rd 1955 Kelly’s Dir
Norman Reynolds grocer Henwood Gn Rd 1948, 1955 Kelly’s Dir
A. Rogers (Butchers) Ltd Henwood Gn Rd 1950, 1955 Kelly’s Dir
George Russell butcher Lower Gn Rd 1924, 1927, 1937, 1938, 1940 1948 Kelly’s Dir
John Saxby corn merchant Lower Green 1924 Kelly’s Dir
John Styles basketmaker Lower Gn 1899 Kelly’s Dir Mrs J. Styles basketmaker 1904 Kelly’s
R.H. Tompsett dairyman Henwood Green Rd 1950 Kelly’s Dir
Mrs Noah Turner secondhand dealer Lower Green 1937 Kelly’s Dir
Harry Walker fishmonger Lower Gn 1916, 1919 Kelly’s Dir
Mrs Kate Wells tobacconist Lower Green Rd 1934 Kelly’s Dir
M. Waghorne Seafood & fishmonger Lower Grn (32) & High St (88) 1950 Kelly’s Dir also at Hastings Rd
John Willett shopkeeper Lower Green 1904 Kelly’s Dir
Early Telephone Numbers
The Shops Introduction and Reference Page carries a list of known telephone numbers of Pembury shops.
Where a business has changed name, sometimes the telephone number did not.
This may give a clue to continuity of trade at a given address, when the the full address is not obvious.
Link to High Street page
Link to Hastings Road Page
Link to Pembury Pubs page
| Abbreviations used for data sources and contributors:
PVN Pembury Village News – quarterly journal
PVWS Pembury Village Web Site www.pembury.org
WISB Pembury Women’s Institute Scrap Book 1965
TN Tony Nicholls
SM Steve Morton
JC James Cunningham
HB Hugh Boorman
BR Barbara Russell
MP Michelle Pierce
RS Rob Sargent
MG Maggie Godley
MC Michele Coldwell
JD Janet Ditchett
JS Jack Stead
DG Derek Goodwin
TK Terry Killick
KI Ken Isaac
JH Jill Hickmott
|IMPORTANT !!! This needs your help. All contributions will be credited.|
If you have any further information or corrections please contact me –
Tony Nicholls email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Retail - Lower Green
This needs your help. All contributions will be credited.
If you have any further information or corrections please contact me –
Tony Nicholls email: email@example.com